Wednesday, February 17, 2010

I just got a job at a popular electronics store as a sales person. I knew there would be a lot to learn but I didn’t know I would need to learn about how other countries electrical systems work. I guess its good information to know but I never thought I would have to know it all for this job in the United States. The thing is people from all over the world might shop at our store and I need to know the difference between a regular DVD player and a code free DVD player.

You see, in places like Paris the electrical system is different than what we use here in the states. In order for their appliances to work they have to be compatible to their electricity. In the past people would have to buy converters in order to use the electronics they bought in the US if they wanted them to work in Europe. Today manufacturers are making products like multisystem LCD TVs that don’t need a converter to work other places in the world besides the US. These are all the types of things I have to learn so I can explain this to my customers.

On my first day of work I had a customer come up to me and asked if we had a code free DVD player. I looked at the guy training me with a very blank look on my face. He showed the customer what we had in stock and began explaining what he meant by code free. It’s not just about selling TVs and computers anymore; we have to be educated about how other countries use electronics. It’s actually very interesting how things are a bit different in other parts of the world. I probably wouldn’t have gotten to learn any of this if it weren’t for my new job.

No comments: