Thursday, February 18, 2010

Learning About Converters

I recently moved to the UK to attend college there and found out that all my electronics will not work. It seems the US has a different way of wiring electricity or something. I don’t know all the details; I just know I am going to have to buy what they call a region free DVD player along with a new TV. I’m not real happy about this and I wish somebody had warned me before I hauled my stuff all the way across the ocean.


So I found my way to the best electronic store in the city and decided to buy a brand new multisystem plasma TV. It was much nicer than my old TV and a lot bigger too. I just boxed up my old one and sent it back home to my family; hopefully somebody there can use a good TV.


I not only had to buy a new TV and code free DVD player, I also had to replace my blow dryer, curling iron, and clock radio. None of my electrical appliances worked. I was more aggravated that nobody informed me off this difference in our electrical systems and that I paid to have all my things shipped from the US to the UK. I’m not sure of all the exact terminology concerning this but all I know is the standard for electrical appliances in the US is very different than in the UK and you either have to get some kind of converter or you have to buy the item from one of their stores.

After I had bought all new appliances that’s when I was told that I could buy what is called a PAL to NTSC converters. Apparently this will allow you to use your American products in the UK. I guess they saw me coming and knew they were going to get a sure sale. Live and learn.

No comments: