Monday, November 16, 2009

Santa's Helpers

With Christmas just around the corner I asked my grown son what he would like to have under the tree. He moved to the UK and it had been a rather long adjustment period for him. The one thing he really wanted was a multisystem Plasma TV because the one he brought with him when he moved didn’t work in the UK. He priced them where he lives and they were just too much for him to afford so he bought a small 19 inch TV just so he could have something to watch.

I began my search online looking for electronic stores that sold devices that were interchangeable to the United States and the UK. After taking a look at what they had online, I went to each of the stores to see the products in person. I wasn’t only looking for the TV he wanted but I also wanted to find a region free DVD player to go with his system. I thought it was going to be a real chore finding these devices but it seems that many of them are being made now so that they will work in both the US and the UK.

I made my rounds to find the best possible price as well as making sure they would ship it to the UK for me. My goal was to find a store that would throw in the shipping for free because I knew that would be a bit pricey. I found the TV I wanted and the region free DVD player and then gave my pitch to see if they would ship it for free. The salesman had to talk to the manager but to my surprise they agreed to ship it for no extra charge. He rang up the sale and asked if there was anything else he could do for me. I asked if there was any possible way to have something written on the box; he smiled and said he would make sure of it. I wrote down what I wanted written on the box and left the store feeling really good.

A couple weeks later, just a week before Christmas my son called; he had gotten the package and was very happy. It was not only delivered to his door, it was also installed free of charge. He was so excited to finally have the new TV and code free DVD player but said the best part was reading the box that said “Merry Christmas, Love Santa.”


No comments: